Having witnessed the usual eye rolling, headache rubbing, under the breath scoffing response that educators give to the idea of assessment, I was a bit skeptical about reading these chapters in Donna Kay Beattie’s Assessment in Art Education. The term “assessment” has collected such a stigma from teachers stifled by standardized tests that the actual usefulness of the information in the chapters surprised me.
I really felt like the information presented in the chapters that I read will be very useful when I have my own classroom. Beattie described assessment in an extremely thorough and non-threatening way. Explaining that assessment is “an integral component of quality teaching” and not a waste of teachers’ valuable time was a great way to start the discussion. After saying this, Beattie gave a one sentence summary of assessment that I really felt encompassed the flow of how assessment fits into lessons. She explained, “ Preassessing for prior knowledge, building on prior knowledge through instruction, reassessing, reteaching based on assessment findings, and final assessing are all part of sound classroom teaching practices” (Beattie 2-3).
Traditionally, the most common assessment used by teachers is summative assessment. I never even considered that assessment could be formative until I got into the education field. Everyone is aware that teachers are required to provide the school, parents, and even the state with information about student learning after each lesson in the form of summative assessments. But after reading Beattie’s chapter on formative assessment, I am beginning to think that formative assessment is even more important and influential to student success. While summative assessment is simply a final declaration of whether a student did learn or did not learn, formative assessment allows hope for improvement, reassurance that information has been learned, and provides a direction for continued learning in that particular area. While both types of assessment are useful, they differ on “when, how, and why they are used” (Beattie 84)
I feel as though I have not had much experience with formative assessment in my field work and in my education experience, so I doubted whether it could be incorporated into class periods without causing a drastic shift in class format, and without taking up too much instruction time. I was so relieved and excited to be given so many examples of how this can be done! Having students use note cards (and possibly working in groups) to summarize big ideas or questions is the perfect way to obtain the necessary information of classroom understanding, encourage discussion and clarification from peers, and even promote higher thinking skills that are helpful in all areas of education.
With this new information, I plan to focus much more on formative assessment than I ever thought I would! I always knew it was important to check up on student work but did not know how many possibilities there were to assess mid project/unit assessment. I am certain that I will incorporate group formative assessments, because students can help each other gain clarity. Then, as Beattie mentioned, I will address any remaining “muddy areas”. I will have a better understanding of what my students have learned by using both formative and summative assessment together because to see what/if learning has taken place, you must see where a student began, how they progressed, and what they have to show for the process as a whole. In this manner, assessment can actually be extremely helpful and keep the teacher in control of classroom learning as opposed to having control taken away by evil assessments!
I agree with you completely about the way Beattie explains the information as non-threatening and thorough. Also, the way you separate formative and summative assessment actually helped me understand a little more on the difference between the two. I have not gotten to the reading both of these chapters but I plan on it when my life becomes less hectic (good joke…). Are these note cards that you are taking about the orange notecards that you were talking about in class on Monday? I feel that I have not really seen much assessment in my field besides my teacher walking around and looking at the student’s project. I kind of wish we could go to every middle school and see how all of the teachers are instead of stuck in one place for a semester.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with that assessment would be the beginning, not the end. Efficiently evaluating students’ achievements, teachers could find out what they learned from the lesson and how much efficient the lessons were to them. Through this process, they could also measure the value of the lesson too. After reading this post, I can have better understanding about the differences between formative and summative assessment. I think it would be efficient way for you to adopt both assessments for evaluating various educational factors as you mentioned.
ReplyDeleteYou made your thinking visible here and this is a very strong assessment of your understanding of assessment now. I am happy to see that you now understand and will use formative assessment strategies along with summative assessments in your teaching. Well done!
ReplyDelete